Commissioning a pencil drawing
WHAT KIND OF DRAWING CAN I COMMISSION?
I generally complete my drawings from a photograph. I take commissions for drawings of people, pets, wildlife, the natural world, buildings, family homes and special places. If you have an idea for a commission, please feel free to get in touch to discuss this further.
"The drawing is incredible!! I am beyond happy with it. I can’t thank you enough!”
"Love it! You have perfectly captured his personality!"
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THE DRAWING?
I would normally expect to complete your drawing within 3-4 weeks of receiving your photograph, although this does depend on my current workload. If you need the drawing in a shorter space of time, please let me know and I will do my best to meet your needs. However, I may be busier at certain times of the year.
HOW DO I CHOOSE MY PHOTOGRAPH?
To produce a quality, detailed drawing, I need to work from a good quality photograph. Below are a few pointers for choosing a suitable image.
- Choose a photograph that you feel captures the subject. If this is a person, s(he) does not need to be looking at the camera. For drawings of people, sometimes an image of the subject doing something he or she enjoys can express a unique characteristic.
- The subject should be in focus and there should be sufficient light to enable me to see and draw the detail. Photographs taken outside in natural light (but not in direct sunlight) often produce a better image to draw.
- Higher resolution photographs are preferred (the higher the number of pixels, the sharper the picture). Photographs of more than 1MB in size are preferable.
- If the subject is too small, I will not be able to see enough detail or produce a good likeness.
- Please be aware that I am only able to draw the subject as displayed in the chosen photograph.
HOW DO I SEND MY PHOTOGRAPH?
- Digital images can be sent electronically via email to email@example.com.
- Please feel free to send me more than one image and I will email you to let you know which one I think is best to use.
HOW DOES PAYMENT WORK?
- Once the decision has been made on the best photograph, I will confirm the price and expected time-scale for completing the work.
- I will then request a non-refundable deposit of 20% of the total price.*
- I will email you a copy of the finished drawing for your approval before full payment.
- Once approved, I will request payment of the remaining 80% balance plus the cost of sending the finished drawing by Special Delivery.*
- I will send you the finished drawing once the payment has cleared.
* Payment can be made by Paypal, cheque, direct bank transfer or Paym .
HOW IS THE DRAWING PACKAGED AND SENT?
- Unless requested, the drawing will not be mounted but will be presented in a clear sleeve.
- If you would like the drawing mounted and/or framed, please contact me for details of the options available.
- The drawing will be packaged appropriately and marked as fragile to ensure it arrives in good condition. All drawings are sent using Special Delivery within the UK.
- If you live outside the UK, you can still commission a drawing. Royal Mail's Tracked and Signed service is recommended to ensure safe delivery.